Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Cherry, Chocolate Chip Cookies (dairy free)

On our last trip to Los Angeles, we stopped at Sprouts. They sell fruits and nuts in bulk containers and so I bought some dried cherries. I wasn't sure what I would do with them, but I love cherries. I have to say I have not made a cookie I liked this much in a long time. I actually ate 4 or 5 of them right out of the oven. There's both wheat flour and fruit in the cookies so they must be healthy, right?





These can easily be made dairy free by using non dairy margarine (we used vegan margarine) and semi sweet chocolate chips.



1/2 cup butter or margarine (room temperature)
2/3 cup sugar

Cream these two ingredients together with a mixer. Add in the following:

2 eggs
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix well.

Fold in:

1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped dried cherries

Drop by spoonful onto a cookie sheet. I always use a silicone baking mat. Bake at 350 degrees. My batches went 18 minutes until they were done.

As you know from my blog, we seldom make a recipe a 2nd time. This is a keeper. We'll absolutely make it again.

Audrey

15 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness those are MY kind of cookies. Yummy. Sandie♥

Remington said...

Now they sound YUMMY! Thanks!

TexWisGirl said...

man, these got my mouth watering this morning!

wanted to come by and thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! really appreciate it!

blessings to you!

Gillian Olson said...

Oh, these look good, I will forward to my niece who can't do dairy.

Liz Mays said...

Those do indeed sound wonderful!

Amanda said...

I'm lactose intolerant, so this is the perfect recipe for me!

Lisa Gordon said...

Audrey, these look absolutely yummy!!!

Jenners said...

I just can't help but think "Why bother with the cherries?" : )

Tanna said...

Getting a worth-repeating rating says it all!! Love chocolate and cherries! blessings ~ tanna

Reena said...

Yum ... those look great!

Susan Cook said...

Sounds yumm! Never had cherries in cookies - cool!

Ginny Marie said...

I love cherries, too!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

Oh, these look so good! I love dried cherries--they are so chewy and tart. Perfect with chocolate. :)

Anonymous said...

These look inspiring. I have a bag of dried cherries in my pantry right now. Would love to give this one a go.

Jessica said...

Oh my all of that food looks so delicious. I would love some Mexican Casserole.