Thursday, August 18, 2011

Apple Pie Muffins (dairy free)

We had a can of apple pie filling in the pantry. It's been there for about a year. I wanted to use it. I found this recipe. I was a bit worried as two of the ingredients are dairy products. I decided to try it with dairy free products. Instead of butter and cream, I used margarine and almond milk.

I also used a beater through the whole mixing, hoping to thicken up the batter:

They came out wonderfully!! We don't often make the same recipe twice, allowing us to continually try new recipes, but this one we will keep and make again.

1/2 cup margarine
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons almond milk
2 eggs ( I used extra large)
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 can apple pie filling

I used the directions on the blog:

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar till fluffy. I used a beater.
Beat in the cream. I beat until it was a little stiff.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.

Lightly fold in the flour and baking powder.
Add the cinnamon and vanilla and stir till the wet and dry ingredients are just mixed. The batter should be thick. Again, I used a beater the entire process.
Place paper muffin cases in a muffin pan, and add the dough into each case by the rounded tablespoonful. Each tin should be about 2/3 full.

Now place one apple on top of each tin then a teaspoon of the dough on top of the filling. Continue until all the cases are filled.


Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for 25-30 mintues testing after 25 minutes to see if they are cooked. The muffins should be golden on top. 


 Again, we will absolutely make these again. We might even try another pie filling flavor.

Audrey :)

No comments: