Sunday, December 13, 2009

Red Velvet Balls

Last week I tasted something that was wonderful!! They were little chocolate covered cake balls. They were amazing. I knew I had to try making them myself. They were actually incredibly easy.

Start with a box of Red Velvet cake mix and bake according to package directions:

This is what it looked like before going into the oven. I removed it from the oven and allowed it to cool about an hour. Take the cake and literally crumble it into a bowl.


Mix the crumbled cake with one can of cream cheese frosting. The directions said to mix with your hands. I used a spoon and some elbow grease and it mixed together just fine.

Next, make small balls and put them on a cookie sheet. The directions said you'd get 40-50 balls from one box. I got just over 40. Once you make the balls, refrigerate for a few hours.

Once they've set, it's time to cover them in chocolate. I used the chocolate pieces used in candy molds. I mixed it with a bit of oil to thin it out a bit. If I had Crisco sticks at home, I would've used that, but I only had oil, so I mixed in some oil. Dip the cake balls in the melted chocolate, place back on the baking sheet and then refrigerate to set.

Here is my "taste plate." They were delicious.





Next time I'm going to try this with crushed Oreo cookies. Yum!!!

Audrey :)

2 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

I already love red velvet cake. Of course, I'll love these.

AverageJosey said...

I am loving your recipes and tips! Tonight we're trying the Cheesy Chicken (crock pot) recipe, and now I'm gonna head to the store to get the ingredients for these cake balls! I've only been following for a couple days, but everything you've sent my way is quick, easy, and I'm sure fantastic!