Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Apricot Bread (dairy free)

I had leftover apricot jam and wanted to make a bread. I found a recipe for Apricot Bread that I used as a base.

1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup apricot jam
1/4 orange juice (I have an orange tree and hand squeezed 2 oranges)
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix together the wet ingredients. I beat at low about 1 or 2 minutes until very smooth.







Grease a loaf pan and pour batter into the loaf pan.


The original directions said to bake an hour. I was very glad I checked the bread at the thirty minute mark. It was very dark already on the outside. I tested it and it wasn't done yet. I covered with aluminum foil and baked another fifteen minutes for a total of forty-five minutes at 350 degrees. I immediately transferred to a cooling rack:


The taste is great. I would try this again with other jams. I really like using half white flour and half wheat flour too.

Audrey :)

1 comment:

Christina said...

Yummy! What a great idea too.