Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Hash Browns and Chicken

This was as much fun to make as it was to eat. We have always loved hash brown casserole. When I found this recipe for chicken and hash browns, I knew we needed to try it.

4 chicken breasts
1 package frozen hash brown potatoes (thaw potatoes)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup parmesan cheese. (we use shredded packaged cheese)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (we used non fat)
1 cup sour cream (we used low fat)
1 cup shredded cheese (we had a monterey jack/cheddar combo in the house, so we used that)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, one teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.


In a separate bowl, beat the egg.


In 13x9 casserole dish, combine potatoes, soup, milk, sour cream, your cup of cheese, the other teaspoon of Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.

Dip your chicken breasts in egg, then roll in the  bread crumb mixture to coat. Place the chicken on the potato mixture.


Bake about 45 minutes. Chicken should be cooked through and edges should all be a golden brown color.


We all loved this dish. Next time, I'll add chopped onions. I deleted the bell peppers from the original recipe as we do not like them. I wish I had added chopped onion though. Also, I'd love to try other soups in place of  the cream of chicken soup. I'll post next time I make this and share the changes with you.

Audrey

No comments: