Sunday, January 02, 2011

Turkey Meatballs (crockpot)

I've always loved sweet and sour meatballs. What I never cared for was the boiling of them and watching the boiling pot as the sauce thickened. I decided to try meatballs in the crockpot.

I wish I had the photo from the meatballs in the crockpot, but I forgot to snap the photo.

Ingredients
2 pounds ground turkey meat
1 small onion (I ran about 3/4 of it through the chopper)
1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers (you want about one cup of crushed crackers. I use the Wheat Ritz)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (this is a guess as I didn't really measure it)
1/2 cup milk (I used non fat)
1 egg

Mix this all together and see if the meat is solid enough. Turkey meat is so tender you want to make sure you have enough cracker crumbs to help hold it together.

Form your meatballs and place them in the crockpot. I did two layers. My bottom layer covered the bottom of the crockpot. The top layer was put in between the meatballs on the bottom. I was amazed, but they truly do not stick together.

The sauce is a sweet and sour sauce:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 - 3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice (we are fortunate to have a lemon tree in the backyard)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup soy sauce
water (I ended up using about 1 cup of water to put the liquid level of the crockpot where it needed to be)

Mix this all together and pour the sauce over the meatballs. Adjust water if necessary.

I cooked this on high for 4 hours and then on low for another 2 hours. We served them over white rice and they were delicious. They were very soft since it's turkey meat but very flavorful.

Audrey

No comments: