Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

This was incredibly easy to make and took only ten minutes to throw together.

I used a package of already cooked chicken from Trader Joe's. They sell a grilled chicken breast strips package. If you prefer to cook your own chicken, which I didn't have time for tonight, then chop and use 1-2 cups of cooked chicken.

I used one package of frozen Trader Joe's broccoli florets. Thaw and drain out the water. The broccoli went on the bottom. I then sprinkled one cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Then I cut the chicken strips into smaller pieces and put that on top of the cheese. The original recipe called for chopped onion. Since my daughter doesn't like onion, I used onion flakes. As you can see, I sprinkled it quite liberally with onion flakes.


My batter was

2 eggs
1 cup milk (cut back to 3/4 cup milk or use a bit more Bisquick)
1/2 cup Original Bisquick
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix it all together and pour it over the chicken. Bake at 400 degrees about 30 minutes.






Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake a few minutes, until cheese melts.




It was totally delicious. All I would do differently next time is a bit less liquid of a bit more Bisquick.

Audrey :)

3 comments:

Redkathy said...

I love casseroles Audrey, and I can see where this would be awesome, especially with the sprinkled cheese, yum! I make a similar one with left over turkey.

AverageJosey said...

I too love casseroles! I also love Bisquick, so my next trip to the grocer will include these ingredients. You know what else I love? Thanks so much for posting the recipe, and then giving hints and tips for modifications or substitutions.....you make my life a LOT easier!

AverageJosey said...

Oh, by the way, you now have your own folder in my email box... "Audrey's Recipes" are quite a hit at my house, figured the least I could do would be name a folder after you! lol