Saturday, March 27, 2010

Butternut Squash Casserole

I thought I had taken photos before cooking. When I went to upload them I discovered I didn't have the "before" photos. Anyway, this is what the dish looked like after dinner.

I have been loving the foods I'm finding at Trader Joe's lately. They had a package of cut up butternut squash. I bought two packages. If you prefer to use whole squash, you'll want two of them. The packages I bought can be "cooked" in the microwave. If you buy the squash's whole, you need to cut them up and boil them until soft.

Mash them up in a bowl. Add one small can of crushed pineapple. I actually bought pineapple chunks at Trader Joe's and then used my chopper to smash it all up. I used 5 of the 6 pieces Trader Joe's offers in their packages.

Add in the following:

1 cup sugar (I used a little less)
1/4 cup melted butter ( I used a little less)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix it all together and pour into casserole dish. The recipes all call for a topping of crushed nuts. I left it without a topping. Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes.

As you can see, there is very little left. It was yummy!!

Audrey :)

1 comment:

~JarieLyn~ said...

Oh my goodness, this does sound yummy. This is the perfect new recipe for me to try.